Friday, February 20

Reusing an Airplaine

Until now I've focused on how people are recycling small every day items in to wonderful things. Today I've found something much larger for you, a Boeing 747 "Jumbo Airplane" that once flew for Singapore Airlines, Pan Am and Transjet. Oscar Diƶs has turned it into Jumbo Hostel in Stockholm, Sweden. It doesn't fly anymore, so it no longer has that huge carbon footprint it used to have. It still has the original lounge, first class seating and spiral staircase. Other parts of the plane have been converted into rooms where you can sleep, including the cockpit. You can even walk out onto the observation deck built on one of the wings to watch other planes take of and land at the airport. I've read that it's engine rooms are also being converted into bedrooms and the old turbines are going to be remade into the blinds for those rooms. It looks really cool.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this on the TV recently, it's a great idea. Although the honeymoon suite in the cockpit doesn't look too luxurious and I seem to remember hem showing it with twin beds which isn't really what you want on your wedding night! =)

Unknown said...

Cool, I hadn't realized it's been on TV. I didn't think the cockpit was supposed to be a honeymoon suite. Hostels are not meant to be hotels. Hostels offer a more affordable place to sleep and a more communal experience. They generally aren't about being posh, comfy-cozy and private like most would normally want on their honeymoon.

Hostels are great for meeting new people and sharing tales of places you've been. With the money you save you can extend your travel time or choose to visit more expensive attractions.

Celtic Fire said...

What a beautiful idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

What a very cool idea!! That's sooo awesome!

~Wind

Shane Shirley said...

I love this blog!!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone. I know I haven't posted in a bit. I've been really busy with family stuff. I've got some posts planned, I just have to get to them. New post comming soon, I promise.

Princess DoodleBeans said...

Awesome Idea....I'd stay in one!!

Le-Chat said...

Cool, I know of a one near Amsterdam - a smaller plane though, a dc10 or so (sorry not an expert) that's a restaurant and can be booked for (wedding) parties and celebrations as well. Of course the most carbon footprint it saves is the building that did not have to be built :D
Now I just wonder what the souvenirs in the Jumbo souvenir shop are made from. Souvenirs are in my humble opinion the most useless wasteful products ever invented. Nobody likes them except for the moment we are there, for some strange reason...

Rashaad H. said...

Oh man, a plane hotel? That would be a pretty cool experience to stay on one of those, not to mention it's a unique way to reuse a plane that's been decommissioned. Thanks for sharing, Anne!